Saturday, August 17, 2013

Perception-Responsibility-Criticism

The facebook friends request list was swelling up! It was time to take action. I need to be particularly careful for requests coming from IIT Kharagpur students who are still on roll. It is a strict - 'No', 'No' for Dept. students till they graduate. For others, I need to visit student database, check if there is any possibility of intersection somewhere in their remaining stay here where I shall be awarding them grades. If not, then I go ahead. This is because, to me, we not only need to be impartial, we should also appear to be impartial. We are surrounded by students, young and intelligent, the competent and confident, the makers of our country's destiny. The perception is important. As much the foot-print that we leave.

Often, this leaves us with limited choice or has the potential of breaking heart! My batch-mate's son has taken admission in our institute this year. Had a session with her entire family when they came for document verification. Told the son what we tell all freshers [Link to Fresh Blood] - that clearing IIT-JEE and getting into an IIT is an important step, but only a step, may be a big step. It is not the destination but a part of one's journey. It is important what one does with the best of the facilities the country can give to its young people. Our country is not rich enough to give similar facility to all. Thus, a student here has to take more responsibility and make the most of what he gets. If one does not feel for the country or not interested to take responsibility then why one deserves more facility than others? In that case, let nation's wealth be spent equally for all with no exception!

I'll be lying if I say that I was not worried about the consequence of this lecture :-) to a young incumbent of IIT family, specially when his parents and sister was with him! But the more I spend time with young generation, the more is my confidence in them. And I was proven right again! My friend rang me after return and told me that the son has become a kind of fan. And then came what I started with in this post - 'friend' request in facebook from him. I rang and told that I am sorry and I would keep the son waiting for few more years. Today, when I accepted the 'friend' request of G. Sec. of one hall, a senior student but still a student, I first went to his student profile and assured myself that he is from a dept. which is far enough!

Perception is a not-so-small issue for a person who holds an office of responsibility. One of my colleague was freelancing in one student activity (extra-academic, link). All other colleagues who held the official responsibility of that activity, were in praise and felt grateful. When a new position was created there, this colleague assumed the responsibility officially. And one morning, he had a pensive look. For some reason, he needs to be away for two consecutive weekends (the activity takes place on Saturday). Others were there to do little extra when he or someone is away. But he was feeling bad. As a freelancer, his engagement was far more enjoyable. If he had done one unit of work that time, it was getting noticed and he used to feel good about it. But now with official responsibility, if he does not do one unit of work, he feels that it is getting noticed and feels bad about it. Take this for example. A person was giving lift in his car to waiting passers-by almost always whenever he was going to station from campus. He used to be applauded by passers-by. The day he takes the official responsibility of ferrying people from campus to station, every single refusal (even if he has some issue) would receive discredit, criticism from same passers-by and no-credit for doing the job well rest of the times.

No wonder that a person's life changes a lot when he assumes a responsible position. I may feel grateful to the service offered by a person. But, as a responsible person, I have to go by merit and show my gratitude at personal level. My mother was cared very well by two attendants when she was hospitalized weeks back [Link]. They come from a poor family background. I gave them my cellphone number and told them to contact me if they need any help which I can offer in my personal capacity. One of them expressed something for her children's study. But the other's request, she herself might not have been knowing, was something that enters a different territory. And I politely expressed my inability for the second.

Often, it is easier said! Over the years, our dealing with people develops a standard for ourselves - a perception, an image. It is not always possible to maintain that standard or one-to-one relationship with new role and new responsibility. We fall short. If we try to reach out to maintain old norm, we may fall short in new role. I used to spend a lot of time with some local youth encouraging them, counseling them etc. One of them after completing engineering, is now engaged with a telephone service company at Guwahati. He came to Kharagpur this weekend (to return on Monday) and wanted to meet me today morning regarding job issue he is facing there. He cannot discuss it over phone and needed to meet me for sometime. But our house-maid had taken leave today and I was at the disposal of Her Highness :---) at home, helping her as and when needed. The young person was waiting for my call, and I had no option but to tell him that I have job queued  up at home where I do not have the control over sequence. For example, only when Her Highness finishes brooming (I am not allowed to), I can start mopping work assigned to me. I asked him to wait at home and spend time with his son, now that he has returned after a month, I shall catch up with him at his residence.

Amongst all these, I could dispatch the first set of the manuscript of new edition of one book yesterday. Feel relieved to be able to meet the deadline. But on Independence Day evening, was torn apart for not being able to be a part of the audience where our students were putting up a play. And one knows how much effort goes behind a stage performance like that! That evening it rained heavily, and I got immersed in an important segment of the manuscript preparation. Sorry folks! Anyways, the new edition of other title is just published. It was supposed to be an international edition with review done by faculty of US universities in the beginning and again at the end of the work. And it earned very good review. The publisher was very happy. They were at final stage of releasing it first in US. But something funny happened and I respect the confidentiality of all concerned and have absorbed the feelings for things not going the way it should have been, for something beyond control! Happy to see that new edition is released now and here. There are few more stories cooking! But let the chicken get counted only when the egg is hatched :-)

[Endnote: Met the young engineer. Discussed his issues. At the end he said, "How come that what appeared as all negative then, appears positive now!" :-) For me it was great to find that within two month's of his job, he has earned respect from his employer who are frugal in all count and for his hard work and honesty. While I was talking to him, Nibedita and her husband rang from Zlin, Czech Republic. They talked about the progress made on the foundation work (Link). Also, they said that Mayo Clinic, USA personnel have gone through the post and appreciated how it was woven. Thanks to all for kind words.]

No comments: