Monday, August 24, 2009

Protest!

The letter of IITkgp Teacher's Association President published in IITkgp student mouthpiece titled - Letter from President, IIITTA:"Save IIT System" and associated comments can be found at


200 IIT-B profs take leave, march for higher pay hike

Express News Service

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 0141 hrs IST
IIT-M faculty members protest over new pay scales (over 150 faculty members abstaining)
PRISCILLA JEBARAJ
http://beta.thehindu.com/news/cities/Chennai/article6451.ece

The statistics says that not everybody was in favour of boycotting the class. Even at IITkgp, while every faculty member is aggreived, the mode of protest, the 'boycotting of class' was not acceptable to a section of faculty members inspite of persuations from the other sections (some felt as intimidation, too). They prefer other modes of protests which are not disruptive. There was enough attempt though to make a hero out of people who boycotted the class and villain out of the ones who did not through passages like (which came out in open):
"Casual Leave on the 21st August should see no classes and no laboratories at IIT Kharagpur.
Please do not ask the question: what have the others done? You do it first. Note down the names of those who did not cooperate. When the obituary of IIT system would be written, at least you can get the solace from the fact that you did whatever was asked of you."
Read the line "Note down the names" of those who did not boycott class. There is a veiled threat.
"It should be enough for us if we could prove to ourselves that we, the IIT faculty, are not dead dogs who do not react however hard we are kicked on the back."
The sarcasm : "
Some faculty members have called me up to inform that some have "Freshers' Intro" at 5 PM. Some have "extra class". Some have "project defence". So, they cannot come. After all, we are famous IIT faculty, known for our commitment and dedication."
"
Unless we wake up from slumber and shake off our pseudo-elitism, probably, the time has come for all of us to write an obituary to the hallowed IIT system."
There are many such instances.

Personally speaking, I am horrified by the commanding tone in these open messages. As if, we now have two bosses at work place. One, the administrative one, Director via HOD. The other is the Teacher's Association. If they are in conflict, whom to obey? What does my service rule say? Can I not participate in a mode of protest that is not in conflict with my service rule?

I have participated in black badge protest held before. Boycotting classes is above my threshold. I took class as usual though there was lot of pressure not to do that. I respect their view as much as they respect mine or the other section who did not boycott and that number is significant in IITkgp as well as other IITs as the news report says.

Finally, I am much more disturbed by the conflict over the mode of protest than the cause of it, the division in rank and file because of it. I don't feel that not-so-high pay rise will affect the IIT System that much. But if others feel so, I value their opinion. When I took the job of an IIT faculty, salary was never an issue. It is not even today. As long as I get a good, peaceful work environment here, I care the least for the salary. What I get is sufficient for my family and the philanthropic activities I am engaged in. Also, IIT offers me other approved means of earnings by offering professional services which though irregular is substantial to me.

The following to a great extent echoes my sentiment.
From NDTV.com, a report by
Manu Sharma, Thursday August 27, 2009, New Delhi
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/professors_earn_rs_50000_at_iit_rs_5_lakh_at_harvard.php

"Dr Sandeep Sen studied at IIT Kharagpur, went to Duke University in the US for his doctorate, but despite many lucrative offers, chose to come back to his alma-mater to teach two decades ago.


Now, as the faculty demands a pay hike, Sen says for him it was never about the money. What has upset him is people questioning the credibility of the faculty.


"They say there is no great research at IIT. I agree we could have done better, but at least acknowledge the good work. It is not about a few thousand rupees, it is about the recognition that comes, a kind of medal given for good work," says Dr Sen, who is heads electronic engineering at IIT Delhi.


Dr Sourav Bansal, Sen's student and with a Phd from Stanford, could have his pick of jobs abroad. But like his mentor, he too came back to contribute to excellence in teaching.

Dr Bansal, who is an assistant professor of electronics at IIT says: "when I came for the interview I was told money would be very less, but I remembered the environment and wanted to come back. Be a leader in our technical revolution. And when we see that professors have to ask for this, it's not fair."

No comments: